By Wendell John Coats Jr.
This publication is a set of 4 essays and shorter items which are associated with the subject matter of Republican personality in addition to protecting such different themes as liberal arts eduction and American protection coverage.
Read or Download A Theory of Republican Character and Related Essays PDF
Similar democracy books
ReferendumsвЂ”the direct well known vote on an issueвЂ”appear to be the main democratic of selection mechanisms as the voice of the folks is at once heard instead of mediated via elected representatives in legislatures. yet referendums may be manipulated by way of elites utilizing strategies similar to timing and wording of the query submitted to a favored vote.
Democracy's flexibility, its dedication to equality of illustration, and its attractiveness of the legitimacy of competition are all optimistic good points of political associations. yet democracy matches uneasily with many different political values and is in lots of respects lower than equivalent to the calls for it confronts.
Within the Poverty of Progressivism, Jeffrey C. Isaac examines the weakening of liberalism--its explanations, its outcomes, and its importance for wondering 'left liberal' politics--and concludes that innovative liberalism in the USA is at an deadlock from which it truly is not likely to get well. He contends that the often invoked liberal analogies among the current and the early a part of the 20th century are essentially improper and, eventually, impractical.
Many nations have experimented with assorted electoral ideas so as both to extend involvement within the political procedure or assist you to shape strong governments. Barry Ames explores this crucial subject in a single of the world's so much populous and significant democracies, Brazil. This e-book locates one of many assets of Brazil's "crisis of governance" within the nation's special electoral method, a process that produces a multiplicity of vulnerable events and individualistic, pork-oriented politicians with little responsibility to electorate.
- Weber, Habermas and Transformations of the European State: Constitutional, Social, and Supra-National Democracy
- Algeria Since 1989: Between Terror and Democracy (Global History of the Present)
- European Contexts for English Republicanism
- Public deliberation: pluralism, complexity, and democracy
- Interrogating Democracy in World Politics (Routledge Advances in International Relations and Global Politics)
- Reinventing Accountability: Making Democracy Work for Human Development (International Political Economy)
Additional info for A Theory of Republican Character and Related Essays
It could only emerge in an improvised and incremental fashion from successive compromises among members with divergent interests and institutional legacies. If either of these models better describe the medium-term outcome than those that lie on the more orthodox continuum connecting the intergovernmental organization with the supra-national state - something that admittedly is a matter of conjecture - and if democratization cannot be indefinitely postponed, then it seems reasonable to me to presume that the Euro-Polity will have to invent and implement new forms of ruler accountability, new rights and obligations for citizens and new channels for territorial and functional representation.
The discussion is not concerned with details but focuses on persistent lines of conflicts and problems which have existed for decades and will most likely remain important in the years to come. The background of the discussion is the general question to which extent political institutions are dependent on particular features of society and to which extent they can create these preconditions by themselves. 1. Uneven Europeanization By this term I understand the fact that functional subsystems of society are europeanized to largely different degrees and that the action capacity of p0litically relevant actors on the European level and with regard to European affairs differs widely.
403. My presumption is that the EC/EU is not becoming either a nation or a state. ", paper prepared for presentation at the Colloquium on The Future of the Nation-State, Uppsala University, 22-25 March 1995, which should be appearing shortly in a volume edited by Axel Hadenius to be published by Cambridge University Press. 33 PHILIPPE C. SCHMITTER different public goods. Given its formidable coordination problems -- not to mention, its unprecedented nature - one can hardly imagine the deliberate establishment of such a cumbersome arrangement.
A Theory of Republican Character and Related Essays by Wendell John Coats Jr.